Baked Eggs in Cheese Sauce
A cheesy breakfast treat for the whole family.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp flour
- Speck Pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup (1/4 lb) grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- Optional: Bacon
- Melt butter in double boiler; stir in flour, pepper, salt, mustard, then milk. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Start heating oven to 350F
- Cover bottom of greased 10" X 6" X 2" baking dish with half of sauce. Carefully break eggs, one by one, into cup; then slide into sauce, side by side; cover with rest of sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are as well done as family likes them -- about 20 - 25 minutes. Serve from dish or on toast.
- Makes 6 servings of 1 egg apiece.
- Optional: cook bacon and lay it on top of the cheese sauce in the dish under the eggs.
German Lental Soup (Linsensuppe)
A luscious, hearty soup.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 9½ cups
- 1 1 lb pkg lentils
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2½ - 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, pared
- 1 ham bone (left from cooked shank)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Night before: Wash lentils and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Early next day:
- Drain lentils. Then, in Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until golden. Now add sliced onions and diced carrots, and saute until onions are golden.
- Next, add lentils, water, sliced celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- With medium grater, grate pared potato into lentil mixture; add ham bone.
- Simmer, covered, 3 hr., when lentils should be nice and tender. Remove bay leaves
- Remove ham bone; cut all bits of meat from it and return meat to soup.
- To serve at once, add lemon juice. Or refrigerate soup till next day; then add lemon juice, reheat and serve. Makes 9½ cups of luscious, hearty soup.
Vegan Crockpot Lasagna
Tasty low fuss vegan crockpot dinner. Even the non-Vegan's will like it. It sounds complicated and time consuming, but it comes together quickly, much quicker than traditional lasagna. To make it even easier, substitute about 4 cups of jarred marinara sauce diluted with about 1 cup of water, instead of making your own.
Recipe type: Dinner
- Marinara Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 small onions, diced (or 1 large onion)
- 2 -12oz cans diced tomatoes (approx. 900mL total)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup (packed) fresh basil leaves, left whole
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- "Cheesy" Tofu Mixture
- 1 pack firm tofu (14 oz./approx. 400gr)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Additional Filling ingredients:
- 1 box whole wheat lasagna noodles (do not cook)
- 4 cups fresh spinach, chopped (if the leaves are baby leaves, no need to chop)
- 2 cups grated carrot
- 4 cups sliced kale
- 1 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Vegan "mozzarella" cheese shreds (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and sauté the onions and garlic for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, fresh basil, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano, salt and sugar.
- Turn heat to medium low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat off and in two batches, puree in a blender until smooth (you may want to wait for it to cool a bit before you blend it). Set aside
- "Cheesy" Tofu Mixture
- Place tofu in a bowl and mash with a fork (or crumble with hands) until it becomes the consistency of ricotta cheese.
- Add the lemon juice, dill, nutritional yeast, basil and salt and stir until all ingredients are combined.
- Set aside.
- Combine chopped kale, spinach, grated carrots and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- Spread 1 cup of marinara sauce evenly on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Follow with a layer of noodles (break them a bit to make them fit)
- Layer with:
- /3 cheesy tofu mixture, ⅓ of the carrots/spinach/kale mixture, 2 cups sauce and a layer of noodles
- /3 cup cheesy tofu mixture, ⅓ of the carrots/spinach/kale, 2 cup of marinara sauce, layer of noodles
- Remaining carrots/spinach/kale, layer of noodles, remaining cheesy tofu mixture, remaining marinara
- Sprinkle with Cheese Shreds.
- Place the lid on your slow cooker and cook on low for 3½ hours.
Recipe adapted from this lovely post:
Apple and Sage Pork Chops
A flavourful meal. Add squash on the side to complete this meal.
Recipe type: Dinner
Serves: 2 servings
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 thick pork chops
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 apples, 1 chopped, 1 sliced
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ - ½ tsp dry sage, crumbled (can also use fresh)
- 1 cup chicken stock or broth
- ¾ cup apple juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Heat the oil in a large skillet with an oven-save handle and lid over medium-high heat. Add the pork and celery and cook for 5 minutes, or until the pork is brown. Remove chops to a plate and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Combine the rice, chopped apple, cinnamon, and sage in the skillet. cook, stirring, for 3 minutes. Stir in the stock or broth and apple juice. Return the chops to the skillet and partially bury them in the rice. Top with the sliced apple. Dust with a little more cinnamon.
- Cover and bake for 40 minutes. Remove the lid and bake for 10 minutes more, or until the rice is tender.