Baked Eggs in Cheese Sauce
A cheesy breakfast treat for the whole family.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp flour
- Speck Pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup (1/4 lb) grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- Optional: Bacon
- Melt butter in double boiler; stir in flour, pepper, salt, mustard, then milk. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Start heating oven to 350F
- Cover bottom of greased 10" X 6" X 2" baking dish with half of sauce. Carefully break eggs, one by one, into cup; then slide into sauce, side by side; cover with rest of sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are as well done as family likes them -- about 20 - 25 minutes. Serve from dish or on toast.
- Makes 6 servings of 1 egg apiece.
- Optional: cook bacon and lay it on top of the cheese sauce in the dish under the eggs.
This quick and easy sauce has been a family favourite for four generations and with many of our friends. Tastes great on Chicken and rice as well as potatoes and pork.
Recipe type: sauce
- ⅓ cup vinegar
- ¼ cup oil (I usually use less)
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- ½ tsp grated onion (if you like)
- ¾ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp paprika
- ½ cup catsup
- few drops of tabasco sauce
- ½ tsp dry mustard
- Mix the above ingredients together in a jar. This sauce can be poured on chicken while it's cooking or served on the side.
- It is good cold or warm. (We prefer room temperature if it isn't cooked on the meat or on hot rice/potato) Store in the fridge or freeze the remaining sauce for future use.