Baked Eggs in Cheese Sauce
A cheesy breakfast treat for the whole family.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp flour
- Speck Pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup (1/4 lb) grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- Optional: Bacon
- Melt butter in double boiler; stir in flour, pepper, salt, mustard, then milk. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Start heating oven to 350F
- Cover bottom of greased 10" X 6" X 2" baking dish with half of sauce. Carefully break eggs, one by one, into cup; then slide into sauce, side by side; cover with rest of sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are as well done as family likes them -- about 20 - 25 minutes. Serve from dish or on toast.
- Makes 6 servings of 1 egg apiece.
- Optional: cook bacon and lay it on top of the cheese sauce in the dish under the eggs.
German Lental Soup (Linsensuppe)
A luscious, hearty soup.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 9½ cups
- 1 1 lb pkg lentils
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2½ - 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, pared
- 1 ham bone (left from cooked shank)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Night before: Wash lentils and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Early next day:
- Drain lentils. Then, in Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until golden. Now add sliced onions and diced carrots, and saute until onions are golden.
- Next, add lentils, water, sliced celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- With medium grater, grate pared potato into lentil mixture; add ham bone.
- Simmer, covered, 3 hr., when lentils should be nice and tender. Remove bay leaves
- Remove ham bone; cut all bits of meat from it and return meat to soup.
- To serve at once, add lemon juice. Or refrigerate soup till next day; then add lemon juice, reheat and serve. Makes 9½ cups of luscious, hearty soup.
Apple Cabbage Chicken
A wonderful all in one pan dish with flavour to warm the soul.
- 8 slices bacon chopped
- ½ cup sliced celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 tbsp margarine
- uncooked chicken breasts cut in small pieces
- ⅓ cup apple juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 small cabbage, cut in wedges
- 1½ tsp caraway seeds
- ¼ tsp pepper
- 2 tart red apples
- Cook bacon, add onion and celery and cook until tender. Remove from pan and drain off grease. Put butter in pan and fry chicken until brown. Add bacon and all other ingredients except apples and cabbage. Place cabbage on top of chicken, cover and simmer until chicken and cabbage are cooked. Baste occasionally and add liquid as needed. Place apples on top and cook until apples are crisply tender.