German Lental Soup (Linsensuppe)
A luscious, hearty soup.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 9½ cups
- 1 1 lb pkg lentils
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2½ - 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, pared
- 1 ham bone (left from cooked shank)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Night before: Wash lentils and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Early next day:
- Drain lentils. Then, in Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until golden. Now add sliced onions and diced carrots, and saute until onions are golden.
- Next, add lentils, water, sliced celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- With medium grater, grate pared potato into lentil mixture; add ham bone.
- Simmer, covered, 3 hr., when lentils should be nice and tender. Remove bay leaves
- Remove ham bone; cut all bits of meat from it and return meat to soup.
- To serve at once, add lemon juice. Or refrigerate soup till next day; then add lemon juice, reheat and serve. Makes 9½ cups of luscious, hearty soup.