Baked Eggs in Cheese Sauce
A cheesy breakfast treat for the whole family.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp flour
- Speck Pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup (1/4 lb) grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- Optional: Bacon
- Melt butter in double boiler; stir in flour, pepper, salt, mustard, then milk. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Start heating oven to 350F
- Cover bottom of greased 10" X 6" X 2" baking dish with half of sauce. Carefully break eggs, one by one, into cup; then slide into sauce, side by side; cover with rest of sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are as well done as family likes them -- about 20 - 25 minutes. Serve from dish or on toast.
- Makes 6 servings of 1 egg apiece.
- Optional: cook bacon and lay it on top of the cheese sauce in the dish under the eggs.
Leek and Potato Soup
A tasty comforting soup to enjoy on those cool cloudy days or the cold winter nights.
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 leeks, sliced very thin
- 3 stalks celery, sliced very thin
- 2 medium medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups (3/4 L) milk
- Freshly ground pepper
- Leeks tend to be gritty and need careful cleaning: cut off the roots and the coarse green tops, cut lengthwise through the remaining green tops starting within an inch of the white bottom, gently separate the stiff leaves, and rinse well under cold, running water.
- Melt the butter in a large pot and add the leeks and celery. Cook for about 10 minutes over moderate heat, stirring often. Stir in 1 cup water, cover, and cook 10 minutes more. Stir in the milk, cover, and cook until the potatoes are just tender, about 10 minutes more. Add salt and pepper to taste.
Creamy Herbed Pork Chops
This recipe can be adjusted to also make Cheesy Pork Chops, Curried Pork Chops and Caraway Pork Chops.
Serves: 4 servings
- 4 pork chops, cut ¾ inch thick
- 1 tbsp margarine or butter
- ⅓ cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 tbsp snipped parsley
- 2 tsp all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp dried basil, thyme, or tarragon, crushed
- ½ tsp instant beef bouillon granules
- ⅔ cup milk or light cream
- 2 tbsp dry white wine or water
- Trim fat from meat. If desired, sprinkle with salt and pepper. In a large skillet cook chops in margarine or butter over medium heat for 5 minutes. Turn chops and add carrot. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes more or till no pink remains. Remove chops, reserving drippings and carrot.
- For sauce, stir parsley; flour; basil, thyme or tarragon bouillon granules; and ¼ tsp pepper into drippings and carrot. Add milk or light cram all at once Cook and stir till thickened and bubble. Stir in wine or water. Return chops to skillet and heat through. To serve, spoon sauce over chops.
- Cheesy Pork Chops: prepare as above, except stir ¼ cup shredded cheddar or Swiss cheese into sauce after thickened. Stir till melted.
- Curried Pork Chops: Prepare as above, except omit carrot. After removing chops from skillet, add 1 cored, thinly sliced apple to skillet and cook for 1 minute. Substitute ½ to 1 tsp curry powder for the herb.
- Caraway Pork Chops: Prepare as above, except substitute caraway seed for the herb and ¾ beer for the milk and wine.