Baked Eggs in Cheese Sauce
A cheesy breakfast treat for the whole family.
Recipe type: Breakfast
- 3 tbsp butter or margarine
- 3 tbsp flour
- Speck Pepper
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tsp prepared mustard
- 1½ cups milk
- 1 cup (1/4 lb) grated cheddar cheese
- 6 eggs
- Optional: Bacon
- Melt butter in double boiler; stir in flour, pepper, salt, mustard, then milk. Cook, stirring, until smooth and thickened.
- Add cheese; stir until melted. Start heating oven to 350F
- Cover bottom of greased 10" X 6" X 2" baking dish with half of sauce. Carefully break eggs, one by one, into cup; then slide into sauce, side by side; cover with rest of sauce.
- Bake, uncovered, until eggs are as well done as family likes them -- about 20 - 25 minutes. Serve from dish or on toast.
- Makes 6 servings of 1 egg apiece.
- Optional: cook bacon and lay it on top of the cheese sauce in the dish under the eggs.
Chicken Breast with Honey and Thyme
Marinated chicken bakes to juicy tenderness with a sweet hot glaze. Sugar snap peas, asparagus or fiddleheads both look and taste right with the orange and oriental flavours of the glaze. Cook up a pot of rice, too.
Serves: 8 servings
- 8 chicken breasts (about 3¼ lb - 1.75 kg total)
- ½ cup - 125 mL orange juice
- 2 tbsp - 25 mL olive oil
- 1 tsp - 5mL grated orange rind
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL pepper
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL dried thyme
- ½ cup - 125 mL liquid honey
- 2 tbsp - 25 mL frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tbsp - 15 mL soy sauce
- 1 tbsp - 15 mL Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp - 2 mL dried thyme
- ½ tsp - 2 mL pepper
- ½ tsp - 2 mL hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL dried rosemary (or 2 tsp - 10 mL fresh)
- Pat chicken dry. In large glass bowl, combine orange juice, oil, orange rind, hot pepper flakes, pepper and thyme; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate for up to 8 hours in refrigerator.
- GLAZE: In bowl, combine honey, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, mustard,thyme, pepper, hot pepper sauce and rosemary.
- Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry. Arrange chicken skin side up, on foil-lined baking sheet; brush with half of the glaze, Bake in 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for 15 minutes; brush with remaining glaze. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink inside and skin is golden.