German Lental Soup (Linsensuppe)
A luscious, hearty soup.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 9½ cups
- 1 1 lb pkg lentils
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2½ - 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, pared
- 1 ham bone (left from cooked shank)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Night before: Wash lentils and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Early next day:
- Drain lentils. Then, in Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until golden. Now add sliced onions and diced carrots, and saute until onions are golden.
- Next, add lentils, water, sliced celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- With medium grater, grate pared potato into lentil mixture; add ham bone.
- Simmer, covered, 3 hr., when lentils should be nice and tender. Remove bay leaves
- Remove ham bone; cut all bits of meat from it and return meat to soup.
- To serve at once, add lemon juice. Or refrigerate soup till next day; then add lemon juice, reheat and serve. Makes 9½ cups of luscious, hearty soup.
Curry was originally introduced to the West Indies by immigrant laborers from Ceylon; thus this dish is name after the capital of its country of origin. This dish is to serve 4.
Recipe type: Dinner
- 2 lbs boneless lamb cut into serving pieces
- 3 tbsp oil
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 3 tamarind seed, covered with 1tbsp boiling water, soaked for 1 hour, pulp rubbed through a sieve (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 1 bouquet garni of thyme, scallion and parsley
- 1 chayote squash, diced
- 1 large zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 eggplant, sliced into rounds
- 2 potatoes, peeled and halved
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed to a paste
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Lightly brown the pieces of meat in the oil with the onions. Add the water, curry powder and the tamarind pulp, if you are using it. Mix well and season with salt and pepper. When the mixture comes to a boil, put in the bouquet garni, vegetables garlic and a pinch of cayenne pepper, if you wish. Cover and simmer gently for one hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Serve the curry hot.