German Lental Soup (Linsensuppe)
A luscious, hearty soup.
Recipe type: Soup
Serves: 9½ cups
- 1 1 lb pkg lentils
- ¼ lb bacon, diced
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, diced
- 2 qt. water
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 2½ - 3 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 large potato, pared
- 1 ham bone (left from cooked shank)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Night before: Wash lentils and soak overnight in cold water to cover.
- Early next day:
- Drain lentils. Then, in Dutch oven, saute diced bacon until golden. Now add sliced onions and diced carrots, and saute until onions are golden.
- Next, add lentils, water, sliced celery, salt, pepper, thyme, and bay leaves.
- With medium grater, grate pared potato into lentil mixture; add ham bone.
- Simmer, covered, 3 hr., when lentils should be nice and tender. Remove bay leaves
- Remove ham bone; cut all bits of meat from it and return meat to soup.
- To serve at once, add lemon juice. Or refrigerate soup till next day; then add lemon juice, reheat and serve. Makes 9½ cups of luscious, hearty soup.
Chicken Breast with Honey and Thyme
Marinated chicken bakes to juicy tenderness with a sweet hot glaze. Sugar snap peas, asparagus or fiddleheads both look and taste right with the orange and oriental flavours of the glaze. Cook up a pot of rice, too.
Serves: 8 servings
- 8 chicken breasts (about 3¼ lb - 1.75 kg total)
- ½ cup - 125 mL orange juice
- 2 tbsp - 25 mL olive oil
- 1 tsp - 5mL grated orange rind
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL hot pepper flakes
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL pepper
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL dried thyme
- ½ cup - 125 mL liquid honey
- 2 tbsp - 25 mL frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 1 tbsp - 15 mL soy sauce
- 1 tbsp - 15 mL Dijon mustard
- ½ tsp - 2 mL dried thyme
- ½ tsp - 2 mL pepper
- ½ tsp - 2 mL hot pepper sauce
- ¼ tsp - 1 mL dried rosemary (or 2 tsp - 10 mL fresh)
- Pat chicken dry. In large glass bowl, combine orange juice, oil, orange rind, hot pepper flakes, pepper and thyme; add chicken and turn to coat. Cover and marinate for up to 8 hours in refrigerator.
- GLAZE: In bowl, combine honey, orange juice concentrate, soy sauce, mustard,thyme, pepper, hot pepper sauce and rosemary.
- Remove chicken from marinade; pat dry. Arrange chicken skin side up, on foil-lined baking sheet; brush with half of the glaze, Bake in 375 degree F (190 degree C) oven for 15 minutes; brush with remaining glaze. Bake for 15 to 25 minutes longer or until chicken is no longer pink inside and skin is golden.